21 July 2010

Keyblades! Yays!

So, the past week I've been really cracking down and working on my keyblade. Olivia (my Oblivion Keyblade) is going quite well if I may say so myself. I've spraypainted her for the most part. I still need to do a final coat to cover any places I missed with the first coats on each side. After that I have to paint some of the details (with just regular acrylic paint) and I should be completely done! XD
I actually took some pictures of what I have done so far. Kinda as like a timeline for progress on it:
So, this is what I started out with. Well, kinda started out with. First I made a template (to scale comparing to a picture of Oblivion) and traced it onto foam board (like those posterboards with foam between the two pieces). Then, I cut them out (which actually hurts your hands A LOT. I was in PAIN from all that cutting with just an itty-bitty razor DX). This pictures shows all three of the layers I cut out stacked on top of each other.
Here's a webcam picture of the partly finished keyblade. Its got the details made out of a papier mache pulp (except at the time this picture was taken, I hadn't done the other side yet XP). No chain yet.

This is much later, when I put the chain and the gem on (made of Model Magic X3). Then I primered the material (to make it easier to spray paint). I actually took these pictures after I spray-painted the first side (I forgot to take the picture before XP) So you can kinda see the black on the sides of it.
This is the spray painted side. And it was interesting because, for a little while, Olivia looked like an Othello piece because she was black on one side and white on the other X3. But anyway. The spray paint isn't completely covering it because I used a can that was already used for something else, so I ran out of paint before I could finish DX. So we went out and got more black shiny spray paint and I painted the next day (which was today X3)
 Still not totally finished. There are a few white spots that I need to fix. But now both sides are spray painted at least a little bit and its really starting to come together. The project that I've been working on since before my birthday (in February of 2010) is FINALLY almost done!! I think it looks pretty awesome. Its turning out a lot better than I originally thought it was going to and that makes me happy! XD Oh, and the chain isn't actually blue, if you were wondering at all. Its a shiny dark silvery kinda color, I just have it covered by the blue painting tape so I don't spray paint it.
And, another project I'm working on for my little sister is Kairi's keyblade. I personally don't think its all that special. Its all flowery and stuff. But she's a seven-year-old girl and she's into that stuff. Plus, the keyblade is pretty simple. I just started it today and I already have it this far done:
The end is obviously not finished. I just have a basic kinda shape in there that I can glue the flowers on to eventually make it look like this:
So, yeah. I'm doing that keyblade for her and eventually, I'm going to work on the Oathkeeper for my little brother because that's his favorite keyblade:
(Its the one that not Oblivion, in case you don't know Kingdom Hearts. Its the white one.)
So, that's all the projects I'm working on right now! Its gotten really fun!

Squid!
~otaku-chan

PS: The random bowl of water in my Kairi keyblade pix is a preparation for the papier mache. Its not just randomly there...0.o

PPS: I got so many weird looks from neighbors passing by as I was outside primer-ing and spray painting Olivia X3. It was actually quite funny.

PPPS: The end of my Oblivion keychain is SO ANNOYING! It keeps breaking! I've finally just taped it together with black electrical tape in hopes that it will finally stay together.

PPPPS: The thing on the end of my Kairi keyblade looks like a piece of toast. Its weird...

PPPPPS: I'm really sorry if this post bored you...I just felt like I had to share the progress I've made because I'm excited about it, but I suppose other people (especially people who don't play Kingdom Hearts) won't be as excited as I am about this...T.T

4 comments:

  1. well. i, for one, am most definitely not bored by this post, especially considering i was the one that asked you to post all those pics!! i agree, the Kairi keyblade looks like toast. XD i am sooo excited to see all those keyblades tomorrow! they look lovely, dear. X3 i'll probably be enlisting your help if/when i ever get around to making Demyx's sitar... which will, of course, not be nearly as detailed, because i am a lazy poser-otaku, but that's okay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is Kingdom Hearts a video game?? And are you just making the keyblades for your own personal enjoyment? By the way, have you made any other significant items??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristen:
    Yes, Kingdom Hearts is a video game (an awesomely amazing one XD)

    Kinda, I'm making the keyblades kinda for my own personal enjoyment (it makes me happy that I can say that I have a keyblade), also for boredom-killing purposes (its summer and I can't find a job, so I have nothing else to do), and eventually (probably next year) I'm going to cosplay as a character using the keyblade as my prop X3

    No, I have not made any other significant items. I just started with keyblade making recently and I haven't been obsessive enough about anything else yet to spend this much time on a project for anything else ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete